This is the third Sunday of Advent. All the scripture readings and theological teachers point to this week as a moment in which we pause and we really think about the true meaning of joy.
Of course joy sounds simple and we really think of it as being the sister to happiness. There is some truth to that, but it is deeper than that. Joy is an internal thing.
This week I challenge you to bring joy wherever you are. Here are seven acts of kindness that you can do this week that will bring you a little joy this week
- Send a card to someone who could use some cheering up.
- Make an extra portion of your next meal and bring it to a neighbor or friend.
- Smile at strangers on the street.
- Volunteer to drive someone to their doctors appointment.
- Teach someone how to read.
- Offer babysitting services to someone who could use a break.
- Offer a small gift (candle, book, card, inspirational quote) to a stranger.
Joy is found in the silence of our heart.