April is a month that provides university students across the U.S. with the opportunity to shine with their progressive work during Undergraduate Research Week from April 19 to 23 this year. Yes, conducting research work does not have to be limited to your finals. Continuously researching on topics and forming numerous new hypotheses is the best way to aid in the evolution of society. Here’s more on why Undergraduate Research Week is so important.
Keeping the youth motivated to make a difference is not easy, but it is not an impossible task either. This initiative was started by the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) and the organization continuously strives to make efforts that lead to the creation of scholarly ideas and groundbreaking research. With the vision to help in the advancement of society through creative undergraduate research, CUR assigned a week in April as Undergraduate Research Week. This initiative was initially pushed forward by the U.S. House of Representatives on the 16th of November, 2010.
This week has become a national celebration during which numerous universities hold events exhibiting brilliant research studies conducted by undergraduate students of different institutes. This means, not only will the students be motivated to put an extra effort into their research throughout the year, but they will also be bestowed with the opportunity to have their voices heard.
During the celebratory week, aspiring and brilliant students may present their ideas using various mediums ranging from video presentations, detailed papers, a performance, or a creative art display — all you need is a bright idea that stands out from the rest! It’s time to start brainstorming!
HOW TO CELEBRATE UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH WEEK
- Make a videoTo attract an audience, shoot an interesting video to showcase your research findings. Better yet, if possible, form an interesting narrative and represent it in movie-form.
- Give a live performanceDon’t have the skills to produce a video? Just write an entertaining and gripping script and have some actors play it out live on Zoom to whichever audience you want.
- Animate it!To stand out from the rest, present your findings through an animated short video. This will also make the presentation appear super professional.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
- Research universities in the U.S.There are 261 research universities in the United States.
- Undergraduate research for foreignersThe U.S. provides a J-1 visa for international students interested in studying and doing research.
- The best U.S. undergraduate research universityThe Massachusetts Institute of Technology is the best undergraduate research university in the U.S.
- Federal funds for researchIn 2019, the Department of Defense issued 3.51 billion dollars to fund research programs.
- #5 Research is for the faculty, too!The faculty members at research universities are expected to partake in research and are required to publish research articles.
WHY UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH IS IMPORTANT
- It can aid with the groundwork for a new business ventureWorking for yourself is always better than working for someone else. Why choose the undergrad years to put in this effort? Because you have more time and energy. Most importantly, student ventures tend to receive funding from outside sources.
- It keeps the students motivatedIf you invest your undergraduate years in research, you are more likely to feel motivated since you will have a goal and vision to work towards.
- It can help you change the worldA big idea is all you need to change the world! Case in point — the creation of Facebook, Apple, and numerous others brands, ventures, and ideas that have completely changed life as we know it.