If summer plans include places where crowds may gather, such as at an amusement park or concert, people can expect to wait in lines and possibly face extra security measures, along with getting separated from their group.
The Red Cross has safety steps to follow:
Have a few different methods to communicate – cell phone, tablet, calling card for a landline phone. Stay with the group – don’t go off alone. All adults should have a cell phone and exchange numbers with the others in the group. Plan where to meet should someone become separated.
- Find out what is allowed when it comes to items such as coolers, backpacks, etc. to avoid having to throw them away.
- Dress appropriately and in layers to be ready for any change in the weather. Stay hydrated. Apply sunscreen regularly.
- Watch the weather and seek shelter if any severe weather warnings are issued.
- Know where the exits and shelters are.
- Be on the lookout for suspicious activity and don’t be afraid to report suspicious people or packages.