Wednesday is referred to as hump day. It is the middle of the week. It is the day that you can look back and see what you missed, but look forward and see what you need to do.With that being said here are the 5 stories that are the top of mind.
#4 CDC released complete summary of transmission possibilities of Zika virus
Through mosquito bites
a)- Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito.
- These mosquitoes typically lay eggs in and near standing water in things like buckets, bowls, animal dishes, flower pots and vases. They prefer to bite people, and live indoors and outdoors near people.
- Mosquitoes that spread chikungunya, dengue, and Zika are aggressive daytime biters. They can also bite at night.
- Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.
b) Rarely, from mother to child
- A mother already infected with Zika virus near the time of delivery can pass on the virus to her newborn around the time of birth, but this is rare.
- It is possible that Zika virus could be passed from mother to fetus during pregnancy. This mode of transmission is being investigated.
- To date, there are no reports of infants getting Zika virus through breastfeeding. Because of the benefits of breastfeeding, mothers are encouraged to breastfeed even in areas where Zika virus is found.
c) Through infected blood or sexual contact
- Spread of the virus through blood transfusion and sexual contact have been reported.
#3 Bernie Sanders won’t wear a tux to his inaugural ball.
What? Dressing up does not mean you are fancy or better than anyone. Dressing up means that something matters and that it is important. This is yet one more reason that he will not get my vote! Frustrating when candidates focus on trivial drivel. Sanders doesn’t own a tux and doesn’t plan to buy one even if he’s elected. Socialist Bernie reveals no-dressing up for inaugural ball will be his first act as left-wing president.
‘I’ll probably get myself in a lot of trouble right now…and my wife disagrees with me no doubt, but a tux is kind of a symbol of class privilege It says “Hey, I’m really important and I’m fancy, and you know, you’re something else.” That’s all.
#2 Never give up hope.
It took Betty Morrell decades — five, to be exact. But she was recently reunited with the woman who gave birth to her 82 years ago, according to CNN affiliate WBNG.
The mother and daughter met for the first time in more than eight decades last month in the lobby of the Greater Binghamton Airport in Binghamton, New York.
“It seems like it’s unbelievable,” Morrell’s birth mother, Lena Pierce, told WBNG.
Pierce was forced to give up her 6-month-old in 1933 after state officials concluded she was too young to raise the child, according to another of Pierce’s daughters, Millie Hawk. She was 14 at the time. She went on to marry twice and have seven children, but the baby she gave up as a young teenager was never far from mind, she told WBNG.
“There was a lot of times I worried about her and wondered where she was,” Pierce said.
Morrell, whose adoptive parents died when she was in her 20s, was raised an only child in Long Island, New York.
#1 Empire TV Show Keeps Name And Gets Season #3
Fox on Friday handed out an early season-three renewal to the hip-hop drama at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour. The order comes almost a year to the day after the series earned a second-season pickup at Fox’s last winter press tour presentation, which came just weeks into the show’s first run. In judge’s summary judgment opinion (read here in full), U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson decides that he doesn’t need to address whether consumers are confused by the source of Fox’s hip-hop drama and associated soundtracks in the marketplace.
The power quote is this
“Because Brown holds that such consumer confusion is irrelevant and there is no evidence that of an ‘explicit indication, overt claim or explicit misstatement’ as to the source of the work, the Court concludes that Fox has not explicitly misled consumers about its affiliation with Empire Distribution.”
Well that answers that.