VidAngel, the market-leading entertainment company celebrated for offering parents technology empowering families to skip and mute unacceptable scenes on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Roku, Apple TV, and Fire TV, and for its original, family-friendly content created through VidAngel Studios, is announcing another milestone in its bid to become the #1 provider of premium, brand safe content for the 52 million-strong U.S. values audience. The Chosen, the first original scripted series to be distributed by VidAngel, is now the #4 crowdfunded series in entertainment history, and is on-pace to become #1.
The Chosen—the very first multi-season series about the life of Jesus, is directed by Dallas Jenkins, and has passed $4 million in crowdfunding. The project is now positioned to unseat Mystery Science Theater 3000 as the #1 crowdfunded entertainment property.
“Breaking this crowdfunding record would send a great message about what this audience wants, but those numbers are just a symbol of something more important. When literally thousands of people are investing their ‘loaves and fishes’ into your project and telling you, ‘Please get this right’ and ‘I want to impact the world,’ it’s humbling,” said Dallas Jenkins, Director of The Chosen. “And if this momentum continues, we can start production this fall and get this story to the world.”
In late 2017, The Chosen Productions, partnering with distributor VidAngel, released a concept pilot in social media to gauge potential public interest in The Chosen. The Chosen’s pilot has been viewed 15 million times in 10 languages around the world. Directed by Dallas Jenkins (WHAT IF?, MIDNIGHT CLEAR, THE RESURRECTION OF GAVIN STONE), the series seeks to raise $13MM in total investment to create Season One, though the first four episodes will go into production when $4.5 million is raised.
“The Chosen” Equity Crowdfunding Campaign
- Crowdfunding Site: thechosen.tv
- The Chosen’s pilot episode can be viewed on YouTube here: youtu.be/YLUemFYq4PM
- Ravi Zacharias, noted theologian and Christian apologist
- Anne Graham Lotz, daughter of Rev. Billy Graham
- Phil and Kay Robertson, stars of Duck Dynasty
- Dr. Alveda King, Niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Tim Winter, President of the Parents Television Council
- Dr. Jerry Johnson, President of the National Religious Broadcasters
- Joni Eareckson Tada, Joni and Friends
- Jerry B. Jenkins, celebrated Christian author
- Bob Waliszewski, Focus on the Family’s Plugged In
- Pastor Brian Schwartz, Founder of Family Goals
- David Bozell, President of For America
- Rabbi Jason Sobel, co-author, The Rock, the Road, and The Rabbi