The sun is shining, backdoor barbecues are starting, and travelers all over the country are packing up for a three-day weekend. Hotwire® looked to see where people are traveling this year, and we weren’t very surprised to find out that the coasts dominated…because nothing says Memorial Day like sunshine. Of all the warm East Coast possibilities, Florida is the most popular and no surprise, West Coasters are going to California. Also, Hawaii is expecting the most visitors from Alaska for Memorial Day weekend.
Regardless of where you’re going, with only a few weeks left, now is the perfect time to book the ultimate weekend getaway for Memorial Day 2017. Here are the top five most popular destinations* for people traveling this Memorial Day weekend.
- Florida: What’s happening in Florida? Florida is the most searched travel destination, even among people who already live in the state. Book a three and a half star room in Miami, starting from $72/night.
- California: Besides in-state travelers, California will likely welcome more people from Nevada and Arizona than any other state. Los Angeles is super affordable, and you can grab a four-star hotel room from as low as $70/night.
- New York: Whether people are flocking to New York City or The Hamptons, New York state is the third most popular travel destination this Memorial Day weekend. Stay in a 3.5-star hotel near the Empire State building starting at $78 and up a night.
- Nevada: Apparently it’s the place to be this Memorial Day, seeing a more than 980% increase in people entering the state vs. leaving. Stay in a 3.5-star hotel in Sin City from just $56 a night.
- Texas: Why not celebrate Memorial Day in the largest state in the southern US? Not sure if it’s the BBQ or the sunshine, but Texas is the fifth most popular state for travel this holiday weekend. You can stay in a 3.5-star hotel starting at $84 a night.