Airport travel can be frustrating. Here are things that will speed you along the way.
Quick tips for getting through security this holiday season:
- Arrive at the airport early. The worst that happens is that you might be surprised and zoom straight through security. But if lines are backed up, you won’t have to worry about missing your flight.
- Know where things are packed in your bags. That way if you’re asked at security to take out items for inspection, you won’t have to sort through your luggage. Fumbling around at the last minute is stressful and a recipe for forgetting things.
- Check on security line wait times, which are often listed in real-time on airport websites. It’s as easy as Googling the phrase “Security wait times” for your airport. Large airports have several lines spread out over their property, and some may be much shorter than others. It’s important to know you can go through security at different lanes.
- Double-check what you can — and cannot — bring through security. If you’re not sure, the TSA has a list covering hundreds of items from ammo (no) to yogurt (only if it’s less than 3.4 ounces).
- Check in 24 hours before your flight. Sometimes you may get PreCheck even if you don’t participate.